Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sweet Tooth...Candy from the 60's




For some reason, the other day when I tapped into my long term memory bank, I suddenly thought of a candy from my childhood "Chocolate Babies". Why did I think of them? I don't know. Chocolate Babies are from the candy corn family, but in chocolate. So I googled Chocolate Babies and actually discovered that they are available on the website http://www.oldtimecandy.com/.


The following is a list of candies which were popular in the 60's. A stroll down gustational memory lane............
100 Grand Bar, 5th Avenue, Anise Squares, Astro Pops, Atomic Fire Balls, Bazooka Bubble Gum, BB Bats, Bit-O-Honey, Black Taffy, Boston Baked Beans, Bubble Gum Cigars, Butterfingers, Candy Buttons, Candy Cigarettes, Candy Necklace, Carmel Creams, Charleston Chews, Charms, Chick-o-Sticks, Chiclets, Chuckles, Cinnamon Bears, Dots, French Chew Taffy, Gold Mine Gum, Good & Plenty, Hot Dog Gum, Indian Brand Pumpkin Seeds, Jaw Breakers, Jelly Nougats, Jujubes, Jujyfruits, Junior Mints, Kits, Lemonheads, Life Savers, Long Boys, Mary Janes, Necco Wafers, Nik-L-Nips, Now & Later, Pay Day, Peanut Butter Bars, Planter's Peanut Bar, Rainblo Gum, Red Hots, Red Vines, Root Beer Barrels, Saf-T-Pops, Sen Sen, Sixlets, Sky Bar, Slap Stix, Slo Pokes, Smarties, Smith Brothers Cough Drops, Sourballs, Sugar Baby, Sugar Daddy, Swedish Fish, Sweet & Sour Pops, Sweetarts, Teaberry Gum, Tootsie Pops, Tootsie Rolls, Vanilla Caramels, Walnettos, Wax Lips, Whoppers and Zagnut.

What is your favorite childhood candy? In the interim, I think I'll grab a Twizzler.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember a candy called Chocolate Sponge. It was a honeycomb sugar center swathed in chocolate. Crunchy and delish. But oh, for a chocolate baby.

Debbie said...

I don't remember the Chocolate Sponge but it sounds yummy. I always loved all the penny candies....candy dots on paper, red licorice rolled up,sugar daddy and sugar babies. Do you remember Lik-a-Maid? Pure tooth decay!
Do you know that they Bonomo (oh oh oh) Turkish Taffy has been discontinued? I remember the commercial because it played all the time on Channel 9 and 11 in NY.

How about Economy Candy on Rivington Street?